If you read my previous blog post, you know that I was obsessed with my Grandmother Bessie’s shoe closet growing up. And the obsession with shoes has followed me through life. To this day I love shoe shopping, but it’s not about just ANY shoe – it’s about the RIGHT shoe.
I feel it’s always best to have a strategy when shoe shopping. Usually, I have an outfit without the proper shoe and I’m out to fill that slot in my shoe closet. Having a plan going into the shoe store keeps me laser-focused on the task at hand. If I’m looking for a navy shoe, that’s all I focus on. I don’t see black shoes or those cute orange ones in the back, I only see navy.
I will admit, there have been times when I have veered off course and purchased those cute orange shoes in the back. But that never seems to work. They end up sitting in their box, unworn, longing for the proper outfit where they can be serving their full purpose.
So what does shopping for shoes have to do with your business? Well, if you think about the structure of your business as the shoe closet and the people who work with and for you as the shoes, then it all starts to make sense.
As Gino Wickman has proven with EOS®, it’s structure first, people second. You MUST define the structure (shoe closet) before finding the right people (shoes). And like finding the right shoe to fit in the right slot in your closet, it’s all about finding the right person for each role in your business.
Fill Your “Shoe Closet” Using RPRS
- Right Person is someone who embodies your Core Values. Everyone enjoys working with them and you can see them flourish in your environment.
- Right Seat means they LOVE their job. They’re good at it, passionate about the role, and driven to excel.
They also GWC™ the seat:
- Get it: They have the God-given talent to do the job
- Want it: They show up every day excited, ready, and willing to ask for help if they need it
- Capacity: They have the mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, and skill capacity to do the job
Thankfully, there’s an EOS tool that will help you fill those seats in your Accountability Chart. It’s called the People Analyzer™ and it helps leaders see where they have RPRS and where they don’t. It’s all designed to help you get your People Component™ to 80+% strong.
Use your Core Values and GWC on each seat to help hire, fire, review, and reward each employee day in and day out. Remember… people are the heart and soul of your company, the best part of the “outfit” – just like the right shoe.
- Download a copy of the Accountability Chart from the EOS Toolbox™ to help you discover the right structure for your company.
- Download a copy of 20+ EOS Terms Your Employees Need to Know to help your team understand key EOS concepts and terms.
- Take the Organizational Checkup® to get a picture of your company’s strengths and weaknesses, along with a roadmap for improvement.